Yahoo! to Deepen UK Content With Launch of Yahoo! Contributor Network
Looking to recruit writers in parenting, fashion, beauty, technology, movies and showbiz to enhance key verticals
LONDON -- Yahoo!, the premier digital media company, today launched Yahoo! Contributor Network in the UK — a platform for crowdsourced content that will expand Yahoo!'s quality content in key editorial segments as well as offering freelancers, bloggers and writers the potential of paid work that reaches a potential monthly audience of over 26 million*
Up and running in the United States for over a year, Yahoo! Contributor Network in the UK is looking for writers on parenting, fashion, beauty, technology, movies and showbiz for our News, Lifestyle and Entertainment categories, with more to follow. Potential writers sign up to the Yahoo! Contributor Network at http://uk.contributor.yahoo.com/signup/
and, once approved by Yahoo!'s editorial team, they will be eligible for editorial assignments. These can attract an upfront fee as well as performance payments based on article page views.
The launch of Yahoo! Contributor Network in the UK is a key part of Yahoo!'s commitment to original content. This commitment can already be seen in content such as ‘Tactical Brain' from Zonal Marking to support Yahoo!'s Premier League highlights
, The Dugout
content from Yahoo!'s partnership with the League Managers' Association and Showbiz Shockers
from the Yahoo! omg! team.
"If you've got a passion for fashion and beauty or care about health and parenting and want to share it with others, sign up for Yahoo! Contributor Network," said Warren Chrismas, Editorial Manager for Yahoo Contributor Network. "Your knowledge and insight could be shared with over 26 million people," he added.
Following Yahoo! Contributor Network's UK beta launch in January, a contributed article - ‘Would you marry a Bride in Black?' - has already run as a lead article on the Yahoo! Home Page, attracting hundreds of user comments and demonstrating the opportunity for contributed content on Yahoo!.
Yahoo! Vice President Luke Beatty, who co-founded Associated Content (now known as Yahoo! Contributor Network) back in 2005, said: "Our hope is that by providing Yahoo UK's users with the opportunity to become a true, contributing part of the media experience, they will have elevated sense of engagement while adding voice and perspective."
Notes to Editors
In just over a year since it was launched in the US, The Yahoo! Contributor Network has been successful in both growing original content on Yahoo.com
and providing a publishing platform for hundreds of thousands of contributors.
Some of the stats on Yahoo! Contributor Network USA :
- Over 700 000 registered contributors
- Nearly 50 000 active contributors in the last 90 days
- Around the anniversary of September 11 last year, under the feature ‘How did 9/11 change you?', over 1300 articles were submitted
- The Royal Wedding page on Yahoo! News created over 400 original first-person articles for Yahoo! sites (including first-person images/slideshows from London ). More than 25 were showcased on the Royal Wedding site and 424 new contributors signed up from Yahoo! News "Write for the Royal Wedding" blog post
So how do you join the Yahoo! Contributor Network and how does it work?
2. Once approved, you are either selected for assignments or you choose unassigned tasks for Yahoo! Lifestyle, Yahoo! Movies, omg! or Yahoo! News (Technology)
3. You submit articles for editorial approval
4. Once approved, the article is available to the editorial team for publication.
5. Payments can be either: a) an Upfront Payment b)a Performance Payment c)a combination of the two
* UK users over 15. Comscore UK January 2012 figures
Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) is the premier digital media company, creating deeply personal digital experiences that keep more than half a billion people connected to what matters most to them, across devices and around the globe. That's how we deliver your world, your way. And Yahoo!'s unique combination of Science + Art + Scale connects advertisers to the consumers who build their businesses. For more information, visit the pressroom (pressroom.yahoo.com
) or the company's blog, Yodel Anecdotal (yodel.yahoo.com
Visit our press site here
News Provided by Acquire Media